Gartner analyst Raj Bala discussed a five-step approach for deploying mission critical applications in the cloud at the Gartner IT Infrastructure Operations and Cloud Strategies Conference.
- Design a strategy, including building the skills necessary.
- Build a strong foundation for the cloud, particularly in the selection of a cloud provider
- Design and mitigate risks, often done by embracing a multi-cloud framework.
- Put governance policies in place and take a critical eye to existing ones that may not apply in the cloud world.
- Strive for operational excellence, and ensure monitoring and management is in place ongoing.
Why do we care?
I’m a bit of a sucker for a good process, and in particular adapting one to fit needs. This was presented in the context of enterprise adoption, though I see little reason to believe this structure doesn’t apply to small and mid-market companies (which, incidentally, is why I included it).
It’s thematic for me, but this is the actual value a service provider brings to the party, far more than any of the technical skills. Adapt this process for yourself.
Source: CIO Dive