Press "Enter" to skip to content

IT Jobs interest surges while providers lag on capabilities

Quick review of some new market data.

Interest in IT jobs is surging.   Another report from Indeed says Interest in civil engineering jobs and IT operations jobs has surged the most since the pre-pandemic era. Postings for both types of jobs are getting 59% more clicks on Indeed now than in February 2020.  A noted reason is the ability to work from home, with only 37% of US jobs are capable of doing.  

Oracle and Workplace intelligence research shows another angle on the discontent.   Some 80% of study respondents reported being negatively impacted by the last year, with many struggling financially (29%), suffering from declining mental health (28%), lacking career motivation (25%) and feeling disconnected from their own lives (23%).  For more than half (62%), 2021 was the most stressful year at work ever, the study said. More than half (52%) of people struggled with mental health at work more in 2021 than in 2020.

Going into 2022, professional development is top of mind with many willing to give up key benefits such as vacation time (52%), monetary bonuses (51%), and even part of their salaries (43%) for more career opportunities.

At the same time, however, 85% of the global workforce reported not feeling satisfied with their employers’ support. They are looking for organizations to provide more learning and skills development (34%), money (31%) and opportunities for new roles within their companies (30%).   This quoting liberally from Tech Republic.

As for the delivery of IT services by providers, 55% of respondents to a recent MicroAge survey say the technological capabilities of their IT managed service providers are “cutting-edge.” The rest (45%), however, rate their MSPs’ capabilities as “middle of the road” or “in the Dark Ages.”  This from The State of Managed Services Providers 2021 survey from MicroAge.  

Why do we care?

Is there a coming digital divide of capabilities?    Half of providers are great, and half a lot less so.   

Are those in that second group going to be able to compete for talent?    If a business is struggling to deliver its services, will it also be able to deliver for it’s talent?  

This isn’t an easy set of market conditions to operate under.     I didn’t even reference  the so called “Skimpflation”, where customers are getting less services at the same price due to market pressures.   Don’t get overly optimistic right now, as the waters remain super choppy.